The process is pretty simple:
- Call your water company and schedule a water usage audit
- Submit your application to the water district
- The water district will send you a list of approved plants and ask you for a planting plan (you can draw one and fax it in)
- Once you send in your plan and final application the district will approve the plan
- You can now hire someone to do the work or do it yourself
- Once the project is complete call the district or your water company for final inspection
- Collect your money from the district ($1 a square foot)
I am currently at step 3.
You can find more information at your local water district website. For Santa Clara valley you can find more rebates and details at http://www.valleywater.org/programs/rebates.aspx.